Senior Engineering Technician - Electrical Rework
Brain Corp is a team of innovators, surfers and, well, brainiacs, that love bringing robots to life through pioneering AI software technology. We take great pride in helping our customers build smarter operations around autonomous robots that are safe, intelligent, and easy to use so they can help people in everyday jobs within environments such as retail stores, malls, airports, hospitals, and more.
Our greatest strength is our people and their diversity. Our team members come from all over the world, but most of us share the same home: sunny San Diego. Autonomous mobile robots are shaping the world around us. Come help us invent the future. For more information please visit https://www.braincorp.com/
As a member of the Technology team, the Senior Engineering Technician is responsible for evaluating, inspecting, maintaining, assembling, and integrating electrical circuitry, wiring, and PCBs for mobile robotic systems.
Essential Job Functions:
● Performs moderately complex technical functions in support of engineering such as assembly, maintenance, modification, operation, in-circuit testing, verification, calibration, and troubleshooting of electronic or electromechanical components
● Ability to perform soldering rework of existing boards with 0402 components
● Handle and arrange a laboratory (material inventory, test equipment, soldering stations, setups, cables, etc.). This includes experience in planning and maintaining lab facilities for optimal efficiency.
● Assist engineers in hands-on measurements of electronic circuits and equipment
● Able to navigate PCB layout files, identify measurement points, and conduct debugging as
● General lab support
● Champion safety, security, and quality
● Organize and maintain stock of critical components for rapid prototyping
● Conducts engineering tests to collect design data
● Assist in general research and development work
● Diagnose and isolate electronic and electrical malfunctions; conduct necessary repairs
● Fabricate, modify, and repair cables for prototyping and development
● Manage multiple demanding deadlines.
● Be able to work across multiple teams to get things done
● Participates in special projects as required
● Other duties as assigned
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
● Associate's degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, Navy A-school, Air Force Tech School
or graduate of other technically relevant education. Experience in lieu will be considered.
● 8+ years of experience in design, implementation, testing, and production of electronic, electrical, and electro-mechanical systems.
● Must have a can-do attitude, ability to work in a fast-paced environment where no two days will be the same.
● Proven experience at working with little or no supervision, often with a minimum of instruction or guidance.
● Willingness to accept tasking from members at all levels of the Hardware development team. Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics:
● Advanced understanding of electrical diagrams including PCB layouts, electrical schematics, wiring diagrams, and parts lists
● Advanced ability to install and maintain electrical systems, and contribute to the development of commissioning procedures for electrical system installations
● Excellent troubleshooting, debugging, optimization, and problem solving skills
● Comprehensive knowledge of different tools and equipment needed to perform operational tests and fault isolation on systems and equipment, including oscilloscopes, multimeters, power supplies, loads, analyzers, soldering irons, heat guns, crimping, and removal/rework tools
● Extensive use of computers in performance of prior roles: Microsoft OS required, Linux desired; G-Suite experience will be preferred.
● Basic understanding of analog and digital circuits
● Vehicle-level design integration experience is a plus
● Experience with mechanical design of PCBs, module packaging, and cabling
● Experience working with various agency standards like IEC, UL, ETL, CE, ANSI, MIL, and NEMA, etc. is a plus
● Experience in mobile robotics or industrial automation is a plus
● Advanced critical thinking skills to identify the pros and cons of using alternate solutions
● Organized, self-directed, efficient, and able to manage multiple and complex projects in a timely manner
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Essential functions may require maintaining the physical condition necessary for sitting, walking or standing for periods of time; operating a computer and keyboard; use of hands to finger and grasp; talk and hear at normal room levels; visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned or to make general observations of facilities or structures; push or pull up to 20 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee is exposed to a typical electronics development laboratory environment with test equipment, computers, printers, telephones and other personnel conducting similar work in a shared area.
Additionally, all employees are subject to our COVID-19 vaccination policy, requiring vaccines for those employees working in the office or interacting in person with customers. Our policy also includes exemptions for those with sincerely held religious beliefs against the vaccine, and for those with a medical condition or disability that prevents them from receiving the vaccine. For further information about our vaccination policy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The anticipated salary range for candidates who will work in San Diego, California is $71,820 to $79,800. The final salary offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on several factors that may include but are not limited to the type and length of experience within the job, type and length of experience within the industry, education, etc. Brain Corp is a multi-state employer and this salary range may not reflect positions that work in other states.